purple background

Monday, April 30, 2012

Injustice

In many ways, today was a lovely day. It is Walpurgis Eve here in Sweden, and especially in Uppsala it was a full day. I imagine I will feel inspired to write about today, but not now.

Since I am feeling stressed because I am getting behind on my Master's level "D level" English paper, Tomas and Yaminah went to Nyköping to visit Jonny, Tomas' brother. I am therefore home alone, working late in the evening as usual, listening to my new music list on Spotify, snacking, and trying to stay alert as I read a new electronic book on mysteries.

Then I remember that I should redeem the gift certificate I received from Jonny for an online bookstore, so I begin digging around the desk for it. When I say "digging," it is because right now on my desk there are stacks of cozy mysteries, a lovely glass, calculator, telephone, computer, printer, pile of paid bills...etc. In the living room a pumpkin Yankee candle is keeping my olfactory sense company.

And then suddenly, from the John Denver on the music to the pile of unsorted mail, I am struck by the sharp and unfair unjustice in the world. For several years, Tomas and I have supported a few students through "Barnhjälpen," a Christian aid organization through which people can support children with need in order to enable them to be able to go to school.

We just received a new letter from Barnhjälpen. The girl that we have been supporting for the past few years, in a city in India, has been exchanged for a 4th-grade boy. This is not the first time we have had to change children. The note says (translated here:) "Replaces Jaya H who unfortunately could not continue beyond the 4th grade. Father died and mother needed her at home."

And here I sit with my piles of books, fancy crystal glass, computer, scented candle in the background...oh, and did I mention, new iPhone?...on my messy desk. The thought brings tears to my eyes. Why are there such great differences in the world? Why can't Jaya H continue past the 4th grade? I understand that survival is certainly her family's main concern, but I also realize that this is not only an issue in her city in India. We know that there are millions of children who cannot attend school in China as well, for example. What kind of a chance does a person have when they are unable to even finish elementary school?

The injustice of it all makes me sad, and angry as well. But it also makes me wish that all of the spoiled kids in our countries (in the west) who take their education for granted would be able to catch of a glimpse of the privilege they have. Even if University education in the United States is expensive whereas in Sweden it is free (but taxes very high), at least in these countries education is free through high school. This is certainly something that people take for granted.

Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah" is now on, caught up to me on my new playlist. Ironic indeed.

"Replaces Jaya H who unfortunately could not continue beyond the 4th grade. Father died and mother needed her at home."

No comments:

Post a Comment