purple background

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A postcard from 1924

Recently we were invited to have lunch at my father's cousin's house in Dalarna. (One great thing about having company is that we are also invited out for meals and "fika" more often!) After lunch at Tralla and Lisa's we went out to look at the old house in the yard, the house where my paternal grandfather, Oscar Westhed, was born in the year 1900. There we found a postcard which Oscar sent home to his family in Skålö, Dalarna, to say that all was well after they had emigrated to the United States. I loved holding the card, and as always I love looking at the handwriting. Of course I also loved looking at the image of the magnificent ship that had carried my grandfather over the seas. I wish there were more pictures from the ship, and more personal stories. What was the journey like? What were its passengers thinking, and which dreams did they have? Once they were halfway across the ocean, did some suddenly regret their decision?

Here are the pictures I took of the postcard. Do these images set your mind to work as well?






The postcard says: "Dear home, all is well. Kalle and I are together here in northern Wisconsin. Will write again after I have an address. Best wishes to all of you, Oscar and Kalle."


Pin It 

2 comments:

  1. Enlarge mat and frame this would be an awesome thing to display.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete